Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fight Club

We'll start this out with my favorite movie "Fight Club". I'll give you that it is an AWESOME movie and that it pretty much does not have any faults but I'm going to do this right anyhow.

1. This is one of the most cynical movies ever.
I am a very cynical and pessimistic person. I think people are all evil, stupid, and petty. Not that there is anything wrong with that it is just human nature. This movie makes my point of view on humanity seem pleasant. Chuck P. must be a very jaded person to think people are as twisted as he believes them to be. I'm sure there are some but is extreme in all cases. The reason the events of "Fight Club" have not come about is because he is so extreme and people just aren't that twisted yet.

2. How in the hell did this movie have a 'happy' ending?
After everything that happens through out the movie they somehow give us a happy ending. What the hell is that all about? I understand the American (And by this I mean United Statesian) desire for closure but this was really ridiculous. This movie should have kept the tragic ending from the book or even made a new tragic ending because really they just don't deserve happiness at the end. Buildings fall, everyone dies.

3. Some shit just doesn't make sense.
During one scene Jack (Edward Norton) goes to work and he is clearly awake and not sleeping at all. He returns home from work to find out that Tyler (Brad Pitt) went and rescued Marla from her attempted suicide and had an all night sexfest with her. Either one or the other could not have happened but their are other people involved in both situations who are not crazy and would not be imagining Jack/Tyler.
Nobody ever tells Jack that he is Tyler until the ending reveal. How the hell does he manage to go all through Fight Club without ever catching on? Didn't he notice when the guys were all "Hey Tyler you want another beer?" Why the hell would the people that found him fighting himself not call the police and find him help? I know if I went into NYC and started hitting myself in a dark parking lot I'd be arrested in minutes. Why do people let an obviously crazy person lead them in a crazy rebellion against the status quo? Yes he had his followers but at least one of them should have had the sense to say "This guy is a total whack job."

4. This movie was meant by its creators to be a dark comedy.
The drama and the suspense were just a side thing for them. This movie is meant to be funny and only really jaded people with very dark sense of humor find dying/struggling to live people in support groups very funny. Yes, I find the movie hilarious, no I don't think a normal well adjusted person should feel that way. If the average person wasn't unhappy with life than this movie would not be nearly as popular. It was made to appeal to unhappy people. What kind of people choose that as a target market? I guess smart people...

5. The movie preaches a philosophy that is actually illegal to live by.
Almost everything he does in this movie is a crime. There are actually people out there who are stupid enough to try and recreate the things in this movie. Knowing that your target audience is the people your story is about, disgruntled, jaded, and bored, why would you give them ideas of things to do that will get them thrown in jail or killed? Okay Robert Paulson's death scene is an attempt to say "Don't try this at home" but how many times has that warning worked on the people who are stupid enough to do this stuff anyway?

Want to know why your favorite movie sucks? Let me know what it is and I'll see if I can tell you.

Coming Soon: Twilight, Harry Potter, The Matrix, The Notebook, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, and any other suggestions I get to.

5 comments:

  1. Umm, dude...

    I dont agree withyou on this one, you make interesting points but (without trying to sound belittling) its a film, based on a book (i agree should have kept the ending or at least more tragic then watching buildings fall in a mass of explosions to the PIXIES) but certain elements of the characters lives are meant to be an illusion to the audience. Parallels were fixed to create the 2 character "illusion" the revel is so much more shocking for the audience!!

    But keep it up... i enjoy the debate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way they did the movie. I loved the book too. I don't really think they should change either of them. They both have their charms. I just had to think of something to complain about and it was a little difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Happy" depends all on how you perceive it. I don't see the ending as happy, it's just an ending with two very fucked up people holding hands and the narrator not being able to stop what he started. There isn't anything happy about that.

    Chuck actually based the idea of "Project Mayhem" on a society that goes around doing illegal things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I like your unresting attitude and your blog. However, I disagree with this review because you demand that a movie studying certain emotions/trends/behaviours and philosophies , turn back immediately and go the opposite way. Your opinion that the movie's cynicism is its flaw, is particularly bizarre ,because the movie itself takes place in a cynical city with sinful citizens that make a vicious circle of misery, apathy and despair. The movie has to be cynical for the purposes of the experiment. It never suggests that people are not noble elsewhere. It just never shows any nobility because nobility or love are not the themes of the movie. Frustration is.

    Of course, your reviews are comedic, but a false conviction is false no matter what.
    Maybe we are both wrong in all the little ways that escape our thought processes. Anyway, hoped I helped.

    I wish you peace, love and soap,

    Manos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete