Thursday, June 11, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Just a quick one today. I got work to get to.

1. Its too good.
This movie sucks because it is sooooo good that it makes everything else look like garbage in comparison. Its smart, funny, topical, beautifully shot, wonderful score, Danny Boyle's directing was top notch, it was unique, different, and just amazing.

2. Okay I'll admit it's not for everyone...
There are a few people who don't like this movie and I can understand why. Illiterate people who can't read 15 minutes worth of subtitles (Which by the way these are some of the easiest to follow subtitles I've ever had to read due to the changes in color and location to represent changes in the speaker). Ignorant racist people who don't like the people of India or their culture. People who don't understand that Love can be portrayed as something other than people humping each other like animals. People who think movies without explosions aren't worth watching. People who watch Nascar. Obviously nobody in their right mind.

3. Its a little gloomy at times.
It is just morbidly depressing to think of all the things these kids went through during this movie. From rags to riches they had to lie, cheat, steal, murder, almost be murdered, blinded, tortured, thrown in jail, treated like dogs. All that and this prick on TV makes fun of him for having a job.

4. Okay...I really have nothing. This movie was too damn good.
This movie is ruining my blog here. I'd like to say that there were some glaring faults that everyone, critics and masses together, just ignored like in many of the films I have looked at so far but really I am failing.

Alright, I need you to chime in. What didn't you like about Slumdog Millionaire? I need help on this one. Maybe even I have been blinded this time. If you know anyone that didn't like the movie ask them. Unless of course they fit into one of the categories I described earlier than you are just wasting your time.

12 comments:

  1. I personally felt that, though it was a great movie, it had too many bad/sad things that happened just for the happy ending, and it didn't seem... worth it, if that makes sense. Not not worth watching (I loved the movie!) but the fact that people died and all those horrible things... just for the one kiss and the big happy ending, it seemed like there was too much bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Rose. I feel you that he shouldn't have had to suffer that much. I <3 Jamal and Latika. I think that for Jamal having her love was worth all the suffering. And that is what life is all about. Knowing what you are willing to sacrifice, or accepting what you have lost, to fins what you truly want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog!

    "Chris is Starving!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate the dancing part at the end, srsly, all was great until they started dancing happy, I know it's part of... i don't know their culture ,to dance at anything, well i don't know anyhing about indian culture, i can't even speak english well,

    whatever, talk about a wes anderson movie :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry! If any of you had read the book you would think the movie was a trashy Bollywood love story. Not brilliant at all. Read the book. Change your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Dev Patel is possibly the worst actor in the whole of India. Ooooh, I'm thinking so hard therefore I swollow hard: worst acting trick in the book.
    I admit that the first half was good, but Danny!!!! why screw up such a brilliant story?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree the book is much better, regardless is was a really well made film, a bit too flashy at times.

    The 2 kids were fantastic, griping, annoying and likable, real precocious little shits. Bottom line REAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the movie, every part of it. It gave you the feeling every emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didnt read the book, but I felt the movie was way too "Uh let me show you how terrible these people live" That, plus im supposed to believe, tht this guy picked up all the correct answers by chance.

    Two scenes especially ruined this movie for me:

    After 20 years of growing up in the meanest slums, after twent years of starving, violence and murder he walks up to this girl, aware that she belongs to some freaking crimelord and says
    "Lets run away, all we need is love."
    And she does....WTF

    And at the end he risks losing 10 million rupees (or whatever currency, I forgot) just because he has found his true love???? please

    fell free to critizise me

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Simon! I love it. It is a little ridiculous but frankly I think that is what makes love stories good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That movie was a terrible barrage of empty cliches that replaced having any real characters with gaudy panning scenery shots shoved down your throat every three seconds. It was completely unrealistic and straight out lied about being based on a true story. It is shitty cultural appropriation by a western director and is hated by most Indian directors for making India look like a total shithouse and essentially making Indian culture itself the enemy. The main character has no desirable traits that lead him to be victorious, instead he just wins the gameshow based on luck or magic or something. It ruined the book it was based on by tacking on a fairytale ending. Need I go on?

    ReplyDelete